Weekly Feature



2017-07-13 / Editorial

Out of the Past


ST. JOHN’S — In 1906, a small group of Lutherans living in the Chestnut Ridge section south of the village came together for worship in the home of Herman Meyer, located at the corner of Newton and Bunting roads. The congregation formally organized in 1908 and was called St. John’s. The church was built on the east side of Chestnut Ridge Road, south of the bridge that today connects the two sides of Chestnut Ridge Park. The church building also served as a Christian day school until 1913, when a one-room schoolhouse was built. Grades one through seven were taught by one teacher, usually the attending pastor. The school burned in 1914. Quickly rebuilt, it functioned until 1926. Today, all of the original buildings have been converted into private dwellings. 
Photo courtesy of “Images of America:Orchard Park”by Suzanne Kulp and Joseph Bieron ST. JOHN’S — In 1906, a small group of Lutherans living in the Chestnut Ridge section south of the village came together for worship in the home of Herman Meyer, located at the corner of Newton and Bunting roads. The congregation formally organized in 1908 and was called St. John’s. The church was built on the east side of Chestnut Ridge Road, south of the bridge that today connects the two sides of Chestnut Ridge Park. The church building also served as a Christian day school until 1913, when a one-room schoolhouse was built. Grades one through seven were taught by one teacher, usually the attending pastor. The school burned in 1914. Quickly rebuilt, it functioned until 1926. Today, all of the original buildings have been converted into private dwellings. Photo courtesy of “Images of America:Orchard Park”by Suzanne Kulp and Joseph Bieron 20 Years Ago July 17, 1997

The Orchard Park Board of Education hopes to finalize a list of immediate facilities needs for the district by the end of its July 29 meeting.

Each year, the Town of Orchard Park has the opportunity to apply for a grant through the State Archives Records Administration under the New York State Education Department. This year, the town received $6,967 to microfilm all vital records such as birth, death and marriage records.

Orchard Park graduate Kevin O’Neill was awarded a $3,000 scholarship by Scalp and Blade, a fraternal order started at Cornell University in 1893.

Essex Homes has broken ground in the Fairway Estates subdivision off Freeman Road north of Jewett Holmwood in Orchard Park.

Return to top